DANIELL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Visual Art Comprehensive Year long Class
For High School Credit
2018 - 2019
8th Grade Comprehensive Syllabus
8th Grade Comprehensive
VA Comp is a year-long course offered to talented Visual Arts students in 8th grade. The course introduces art history, art criticism, aesthetic judgement and studio production. Emphasizes the ability to understand and use elements and principles of design through a variety of media, processes and visual resources. Explores master art works for historical and cultural significance. Upon completion of the course requirements, including the digital portfolio, students have an opportunity to earn a high school course credit in Visual Art, enabling students to advance to higher level courses starting in 9th grade.
The CTLS Standards are divided into the following areas;
VA COMP is a year-long course with an emphasis on fundamental art skills. This course is designed to prepare the student for more advanced studies of art at the high school level. Correct completion of all required components will result in receipt of high school credit for VA COMP, a prerequisite course for all advanced visual arts classes. Students receiving high school credit will be able to enroll directly in studio courses at the start of their freshman year. i.e, Drawing, Painting, Ceramics.
Course website: http://Daniellstudentart@weebly.com Mrs. Hawkins’ email: email@example.com
- Students will earn additional county-wide credits through the completion of teacher-guided units which will result in the creation of the following required elements: Progress reports may be sent home for any student not maintaining a grade above 80%.
- 60 minutes per week outside of class drawing/art-making (total of 2,000 minutes), this can be done at home or in Art Club. Students should maintain a sketchbook/journal AND altered book
- Student created and maintained DIGITAL PORTFOLIO demonstrating student’s technical and expressive skills in a variety of media
- Participation in 2 Common Core performance tasks (1 per semester). These tasks will be submitted online and be assessed at the county-level. Completion of these common assessments is required for high school credit.
- EXTRA SUPPORT/TUTORING:
Depending on the pace at which each student works, some students may need extra time to complete assignments for some projects. As students need more time, a morning and afternoon work studio session will be identified.
Students are expected to complete 60 minutes of independent art work or art exposure per week before or after school hours Extra help and time to get caught up will be available during art club. Art Club will meet EVERY Thursday unless otherwise noted from 8:15- 8:50 am.
Each student is required to have the following supplies. They must have these materials with them every day to receive full credit for Classwork and Sketchbook assignments:
Sketchbook-Spiral bound or Hard-covered book bound are best. Please do not purchase a sketchbook that pages fall out of easily. These need to be used all year or at least for one of the two semesters providing another for the remainder of the year.
Wooden pencils and erasers
Black Sharpies 4-6 fine point & 2-4 extra fine point
Quality Colored Pencils –Prismacolors are best. They also offer Prisma-Scholar which are perfect for students and a little less expensive. (very affordable on Amazon.)
Students may provide a container to keep their personal supplies in, like a clear plastic shoe box or recycled container and a large portfolio (18 x 24 or larger) to fit student artwork. I have some other storage ideas.
Students need to have access to a digital camera or phone with camera capabilities and a personal flash drive. Website Creation is an important component to this course.
*****Please label all containers and supplies with Sharpie.********
If you have any extra of the following that you would like to donate to our class, it would be GREATLY appreciated:
- Sharpies (any size or color)
- Markers, colored pencils or crayons
- Fabric scraps/ yarn
- Scrap wood or building blocks
- Paper Towels
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial wipes or baby wipes